Skip to content

Frequently asked questions - I need help

Frequently asked questions - I need help

Abuse and violence such as this is not acceptable; if you are experiencing domestic violence and abuse you are not to blame and you are not alone. Help and support is available.

Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence can happen to anyone, at any stage of their life.

Types of domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is not acceptable; anyone experiencing domestic violence and abuse is not to blame and are not alone. Help and support is available.

Who can be affected by domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse can happen to anyone; there are survivors amongst every group or type of person you can think of.

Who can I talk to about domestic abuse and sexual violence?

There is help available if you are experiencing abuse, or if you are looking for help for a family member or friend.  

What will happen if I call the Helpline?

If you have experienced – or are experiencing - domestic abuse or sexual violence, or are worried about a friend or relative, you can call the Live Fear Free Helpline for free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on  0808 80 10 800.

What is a refuge?

A refuge is a safe house where people who are experiencing domestic abuse can stay free from abuse, either in a crisis or to help them move on and recover from abuse.

What legal help is available?

Domestic abuse is a crime and can be dealt with through the criminal courts or take action under the civil law.

How can I keep myself safe?

If you or your children are in immediate danger, dial 999.

I am planning to leave, what should I consider?

The most important thing to do is to leave safely. You may think it’s the decent thing to end the relationship in private and in person but the safest way is to leave when your abuser is not around.

My partner is being abusive, what can I do?

Domestic abuse can be difficult to identify, especially for the person experiencing it. There are also subtle differences that can occur depending on who is being abusive to whom.

What help can I get with housing?

If you are experiencing domestic abuse or sexual violence you may wish to consider changing your living arrangements.

My abusive partner is attending the Building Better Relationships (BBR) programme - should I stay with him?

The programme is not a guarantee of saving your relationship – so you should continue to prioritise your own and your children’s safety.

What might my life be like once I have left domestic abuse?

When you leave domestic abuse you often expect life to get much better but for many survivors, it is only when they are safe and away from the abuse that they can allow themselves to feel anything about their experiences.

What support is available for children and young people who are witnessing or experiencing domestic abuse?

ChildLine provides help and support for children and young people. It's a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of 19.

I’m worried my child maybe in an unsafe relationship, what can I do?

Domestic abuse can happen in any relationship, and it affects young people too.

How can I keep my child safe from domestic abuse?

Living with domestic or sexual violence is always harmful to children.

My child is being abusive to me/my partner, what can I do?

Adolescent to parent violence and abuse is an upsetting issue for parents.

What is sexual violence?

Sexual violence is any sexual act or activity which is unwanted and which has not been consented to. Sexual violence can affect anyone, at any stage of their lives.

What is sexual assault?

Sexual assault is any form of sexual act which is inflicted on someone without their consent. 

I have been raped/sexually assaulted, who can help me?

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted, either recently or at any time in the past, there are a number of specialist services which can help you. You are not alone.

Sexual Assault Referral Centres

A Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) is a special facility where recent victims of rape or sexual assault can receive immediate help and support.

What is consent?

Consent is the permission for something to happen. Consent is saying ‘yes’ to something. Any sexual activity without consent is a crime.

What is a healthy relationship?

A healthy relationship is one which is based on respect and equality.  It is free from physical, emotional, and sexual violence, as well as financial or coercive control.

Is Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence a crime?

Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence is a crime and it is therefore important that incidents are reported to the police. 

Call our free and confidential Live Fear Free Helpline:

0808 80 10 800

(Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)


About Live Fear Free

Live Fear Free is a Welsh Government website, providing information and advice for those suffering with violence against women, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

More information

  • You can follow us on Twitter & Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook